I hear two common questions about cleaning Meta Quest 2 controllers most often. The first is how do I clean my ugly scuff marks on white controllers?
Another question is, how do I clean dirt in the thumbstick holes? Because of the accumulation of dirt in the thumbsticks, you can not even get smooth performance from the controllers.
They get dirtier more frequently than other parts of Oculus Quest 2. Because it has regular contact with hands and has holes.
If you want to keep your Meta Quest 2 performing at its peak, you need to keep it clean frequently.
Don’t worry about it. I have the right solution for both and more issues. Just try to follow the instructions that are given below.
What do you need to clean the Oculus Quest 2 controllers?
Since the controllers are all plastics and have seams, the following things are needed.
- Disinfectant wipes
- Plastic card
- Microfibre cloth
How do you clean Oculus controllers?
Since the controllers are all plastic, you can easily clean them using disinfectant wipes. But the tricky part is – there is a seam in the plastic. Some people use their nails to clean it. I do not like the idea.
So to clean the controllers, follow the instructions
First, remove the battery cover from your Oculus headset battery compartment. Replace the battery cover. Then…
- Take the plastic card and simply cover it with a disinfecting wipe.
- Go over the seam to remove any dirt that has accumulated in the seam.
- Using a non-abrasive or disinfecting wipe, wipe down the controllers. You need to clean the inside of the controller’s ring too.
- Then let them air dry for 10 to 15 minutes and wipe with a clean microfibre cloth.
- Place the battery that you took out before cleaning into your headset battery compartment.
Note: You should clean the protective covers with a disinfecting wipe.
How do remove the black marks and scuffs from controllers?
Scuff marks are not dirt. So to remove those marks, I have tried three different methods depending on the intensity of the marks.
Tricks 1: Use of Ordinary Glass Cleaner
You can try ordinary glass cleaner to remove black marks from your Oculus Quest 2 controllers. But this method is more effective when the intensity of marks is very low.
- Take a microfibre clean cloth
- Spray the glass cleaner on the cloth.
- Rub the scuff marks for a while to generate energy. You will see the marks are removed.
Tricks 2: Use of Toothpaste
If the first method does not work, you can try this one. This trick is effective if the black marks are mild. As you probably know, toothpaste can act as a mild abrasive.
- Put a little bit of paste on a cloth
- Rub on the black marks for a while. You will notice the marks are not there.
Tricks 3: Use of Isopropyl
This trick is the most effective and reliable I have ever found. It is 100% certain that this method will work if the first and second do not.
Take a little amount of Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) on a microfibre or any clean cloth. Then rub over and over on the scuff marks. You will definitely be able to remove all the black or scuff marks through this method.
How to clean dirt in the thumbstick’s hole?
It is much easier than removing the scuff marks. For this, you need a plastic card, q-tips, a compact air blower, and disinfectant wipes.
Note: Take it out of the battery compartment.
The first step is to remove all dirt from the thumbsticks’ holes using Q-tips or plastic cards.
Second, use the air blower for thorough cleaning.
Third, clean the surface of the controller grips using disinfectant wipes.
Can you disassemble Oculus Quest 2 controllers?
Yes, you can take apart the Oculus controllers. But it is troublesome and has the risk of damaging controllers’ activity.
To disassemble the controllers, follow the instructions properly.
- Remove the battery from the battery compartment first. You can see a sticker inside the compartment. Peel it off and you will see three T5 screws. Unscrew all the screws.
- Pry the faceplate off gently using a flathead screwdriver or spudger. If you are a new user, you may find it difficult.
- When the faceplate is removed, remove the screws under the faceplate.
- Then remove the plastic shell using a screwdriver or spudger.
- You will see a plastic pin inserted into a hole. Unpin that pin to separate the parts you need. However, be careful with this step.
What do I do if my controllers get wet?
Take the battery out immediately and keep the battery compartment open. If you can try to pry the faceplate off. Then leave the controllers in a warm area for a few days.
Can I use an alcohol-based product for cleaning Oculus Quest 2 controllers?
It is not necessary to use any products that contain alcohol just for cleaning your headset controllers.
Knowing how to maintain the Oculus Quest 2 headset and controllers is very critical. For smooth performance and health issues, you should clean your Oculus Quest 2 once a day. Not once or twice in a week or month.
Latest VR Posts: